THE VILLAGE OF SESSAREGO
The village of Sessarego is in the territory of the Municipality of Bogliasco, in the province of Genoa, in Liguria region, in the Republic of Italy.
Sessarego is situated on the slopes of Mount Cordona, it has about 200 inhabitants and it's a graceful and ancient village with houses all lined up, positionated on multiple file parallel to each other and positioned on the side of the hill facing west. The inhabitants of Sessarego are called sessareghesi.
The village enjoys a special position that allows him to be illuminated by the sun from early morning until sunset, and this gives a mild climate in all seasons; here you can enjoy a quiet and calm relaxing, but despite the isolated position on the hill, you can enjoy all the facilities, being just a few minutes from the town of Bogliasco (3 km away), and only twenty kilometers from the center of the great city of Genoa.
The history of the village of Sessarego casts its roots in remote times: the oldest written memories known that certify the existence of the village of Sessarego go back to the 12th century, but we think that the settlement is even more ancient. The first written documents that certify the presence of a Church in the village date back to the 13th century.
The inhabitants of Sessarego have always been primarily dedicated to agriculture, succeeding with difficulty in making cultivable a steep land with a lot of hills like that Ligurian, through the construction in remote epochs of terraces; they cultivated vegetables and had also a lot of cows to obtaining the milk, and great was and still is the oil production because of the great diffusion of the olive plant.
The story of Sessarego has always been inevitably linked to that of the nearby seaside village of Bogliasco. One of the witness that traditionally unite Sessarego and Bogliasco wants that Sessarego had been in the centuries ago, thanks to its difficult visibility near the coast, also the place to hide from the Saracens pirates that plundered on the Ligurian coast between the 16th and 17th century, and then Sessarego was the place to which the bogliaschini (the inhabitants of Bogliasco) went in case of danger to safer from pirate raids.
It's impossible to list in a few words all the events that have characterized the long history of Sessarego; let's mention only the most significant of the last century to give a taste of the past and present life of the village:
In 1897 was founded the "Confraternita di Nostra Signora della Neve" ("Brotherhood of Our Lady of Snow"), an association with religious purposes whose aims are, among others, to pray for the souls of the deceased and the organization of processions during the patron festivals.
In 1906 was founded in Sessarego a "Società Operaia di Mutuo Soccorso" ("Society of Mutual Aid for workers"), an association that was worthwhile to support economically and morally the inhabitants of the village who were found sick and therefore temporarily unable to work.
In 1935 the ancient Church was erected in Parish under the name of "Parrocchia di Nostra Signora della Neve e dell'Ascensione di Nostro Signore Gesù Cristo" ("Parish of Our Lady of Snow and of the Ascension of Our Lord Jesus Christ"); in folk tradition is said that already in eras before the 16th century the Church of Sessarego had been Parish, but were never found convincing documentary data to be able to say it with certainty; what we know with certainty is that since the end of the 16th century, the Church of Sessarego was only a Chapel dependent by the Parish of Bogliasco, and it remained until 1935.
Our Church owns very old furniture and paintings, and in more recent times in the'80s of the 20th century thanks to the contribution of all the population were also achieved two processional Crucifixes and a processional Statue with a wooden statue of Our Lady of the Snow, that every year during the two patron festivals of Our Lady of Snow (August 5th) and the Ascension of Our Lord Jesus Christ (40 days after Easter) are brought in procession at the presence of all festive population.
There are many places where the history and traditions of Sessarego are preserved, from the old building of elementary school and kindergarten (now closed for years), the "Società Operaia di Mutuo Soccorso", dynamic meeting place of the inhabitants, the old olive mills (it's remembered that there were four of them in the village), the ancient "prisons", of unknown age and that nobody really knows the true function that had in the past, the house of the Municipality (City Hall) , so called by the inhabitants and that the tradition identifies as the ancient seat of the Municipality of Bogliasco, and yet the alleged castle (perhaps more legend that reality) that the oral tradition always tells us there was in the territories above the village, but until now has never been found track of it …
So, walking through the narrow streets of Sessarego you can breath the history; the people who are born here keeps a close and special relationship with the village, and anyone come here just for a walk remains conquered by its charm of old village...